Re: Airline damage......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on February 11, 2001 at 17:12:33:

In Reply to: Airline damage...... posted by Matt C. on February 11, 2001 at 15:50:54:

Hi Matt!

This just happened to me as well over Christmas. Like the airline people told you, they also told me that since there was no obvious damage to the case, they weren't liable. I had to write letters and jump on the phone and explain physics to them (that the weight of the horn from the top caused the bell to crease, and not the impact of the ground up). It's like an egg in a jar...if you handle it roughly enough, the egg will break inside.

The baggage people maintained that since there was no damage to the case, they were forced to deny the claim. I kept calling and made it clear that I was unhappy and just stuck to my guns about what happened. In my last call, my words were, "I understand the guidelines and why you have to deny the claim, etc...but the fact remains that the damage occurred on this flight and was not my fault." I gave her the cost of repair and transportation to the repair shop (Hirsbrunner factory) which was about $160 US. She then offered me a $200 voucher off of future plane fares. I found that to be satisfactory compensation.

So, in summation...stick to your story and don't take "no" for an answer. Get a reputable repairman to give you an estimate and write letters to the necessary people. Chances are, you'll be compensated. Just remain firm and professional.

Good luck!

Steve Oberheu

Follow Ups: