Re: Re: How to switch from Eb to CC/F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thanks Mike! (the saga explained) on February 12, 2001 at 08:01:32:

In Reply to: Re: How to switch from Eb to CC/F? posted by Mike Ross on February 11, 2001 at 21:36:28:

Mike,

Thanks for the observations.

Here's how the many-year saga unfolded:

1. Played 186 BBb for 20+ years. Found I was having trouble with upper register playing for quintet (my main focus at the time).

2. Had a buddy who played Eb, which got me thinking. Posted a question to tubaeuph list. Received many comments, one from Roger Bobo whose opinion (in a theoretical sense) was that an Eb tuba would probably be the best choice for a single tuba for all-around playing, if you could only own one.

3. Switched to Eb, after trying out a few. Picked the best one available in my price range (couldn't afford the Willson) -- the Besson 983. Have played it for 3-4 years.

4. I have discovered that it's upper register is easy to play with good intonation, and clean articulation. It's lighter upper register voice works well with my quartet. It doesn't have any weak notes in the low register like many German F tubas have. So it also works well for quintet. But for larger ensembles, with pit orchestra especially, I encounter low passages written in multiple sharp keys. As I have yet to master the additional "resistance" in the compensating low register, and partially due to the valve layout or the fact that they're pistons and not rotors, my right hand gets easily fatigued playing in this range, AND I find it difficult to get the notes to "speak" quickly and easily, AND I don't feel I can get the volume I'd like to have. In summary, the Besson 983 is not a good substitute for a contrabass tuba.

5. So now, I'm trying to figure out the best solution. I've gone back to my original premise that Eb tuba is the best single tuba, and have realized that, although this is true, this is a compromise decision. And now that I also play in a quartet as well as my quintet, I'm covering higher parts (often a 2nd 'bone) more frequently. So my "compromise" nature of my choice is becoming more apparent. I now see why Roger Bobo added the disclaimer that although he would identify Eb as the best compromise, he seldom chose to use an Eb, choosing instead to pick the best tuba for the job (frequently an F for his needs). So I now have an interest in considering ownership of a bass and a contrabass tuba.

6a. The Eb/BBb combo is by far the easiest solution. I know both sets of fingerings.
6b. But I've already decided the Besson's low register quirks are annoying, and I'd prefer to have my bass tuba to be free from such annoyances if possible.
6c. This would argue for a different bass tuba, and if so, I could RE-consider my choice based on my current playing situations. I think the YFB-621 would be an excellent choice for my quartet playing and for lighter quintet playing. The only problem is learning new fingerings.
6d. The next question is the contrabass. BBb would be easiest to switch to. CC would probably be a better all-around choice, having a little better voice (and range to a slight degree) for quintet playing, having easier fingerings for sharp keys, and yet being adequate for playing in a community concert band as one of two or three tubas in the section. The only problem (again) is learning new fingerings.

That's where I am right now. If I'm willing to be content to play the Besson ONLY for music without low register passages (hard to control, sometimes) then it is a great tuba for quartet and quintet. If I could find a BBb to go with it without too broad of a voice, and with an easy upper register, that would work fine for other playing. (I would like my contrabass to work with quintet without being the dominant voice in the group.)

Thanks to all for their help in answering questions as they've come up!

The tuba that is/will be for sale is the Yamaha YEB-381 5V Eb. I've posted it here before, and will be doing so again shortly. However due to only a modest response, I'm likely to put it on ebay, to see what the market price is/could be, and to find a larger group of potential buyers.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: