Re: Re: Re: Good as New?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on February 12, 2001 at 11:27:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Good as New? posted by Curious on February 12, 2001 at 06:28:57:

When I got my horn overhauled after having been totalled by Northwest, it was significantly better than before(granted, it was a cheap horn to begin with). 5 Valve Musica CC... crappy valves got replaced with real rotors, crappy slide allignments were fixed, solder joints put together by monkeys were re-done by more intelligent monkeys, the "do-it-yourself" quality Laquer was replaced with a real finish(a niiiiiice finish, too.. damn that was a sexy horn!), and the the 2nd valve slide that thought it was a first valve slide was cut down to size(all at the airline's expense). If it weren't such a huge horn with only .750" bore, I'd still be playing it. In my case, they took a lousy horn, and turned it into a great horn. The horn responded the same way after the overhaul, but the intonation was better because of the cutting, the horn "felt" easier to play because I could move *all* of my slides, and the rotors were no longer noisy. I don't know if my results were typical, though. Maybe I just got lucky... maybe it depends on what horn you have, maybe it depends on what the damage is. There are too many variables to give a definite "Yes/No" answer, but I hope my input was of some help.

-Anthony

Follow Ups: