Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Practice Room

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2001 at 19:20:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Practice Room posted by Henry on February 13, 2001 at 19:08:49:

If you think I know something, then you'll go nuts over a real expert.

Pink noise is what you get when you average all audible frequencies in the noise. It should give you a flat display on an audio real-time analyzer, meaning all frequencies are at the same level. It's the noise audio engineers play over a system when they are equalizing it.

Phase shifts occur when the relative sound loudness varies in one ear over another. This is often caused by the sound wave in one ear being slightly ahead or behind the wave in the other ear--hence the term "phase shift." This variation in phase has a canceling effect and a particular kind of sound popular with FM radio station commercial producers showing off their stereo effects processor. Audio people often use this term to describe anything that sounds like that effect. It therefore colloquially describes a different tonality in one ear versus the other, especially when the difference changes as you move about.

When you play sounds in a room, some frequencies resonate and some attenuate. Those that resonate get loud in your ears and those that don't get soft. The resonance for different frequencies can be quite different in different parts of the room. In a studio, they kill all resonance to solve the problem, and add reverberation back into the mix digitally. A great concert hall is one with relatively few of these problems while still maintaining sufficient reverberation so that the music sounds alive. I'd rather live with some funky resonance that kill it all and end up with a... tubby... room.

Rick "just about to the end of what I know" Denney

Follow Ups: