Re: Re: Re: Re: Asymetric Mouthpiece????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 14, 2001 at 16:12:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Asymetric Mouthpiece???? posted by Gus Pratt on February 14, 2001 at 14:07:15:

Ah, we now digress into physics, where I have at least one foot tentatively planted on loose soil. First of all, speed does not cut. In (very)simple terms, cutting takes place when a tool and a work-piece attempt to occupy the same space at the same time; whichever material is softer yields to whichever is harder (with certain exceptions that wouldn't apply in this case).

I remember seeing some parts being made when I used to work for a D.O.D. contractor. These parts were no-where approaching 'round', but exact shape and smoothness were so crucial that the parts could not be shaped by grinding or forging. They used a programmable lathe that turned the work-piece with very high torque about once every two seconds, and used a diamond tipped (not coated) cutter. The lathe ran around the clock under program control for the better part of a week to make one piece about 14 inches long. (Note: this piece had to be MUCH smoother than a mouthpiece.) So I feel pretty sure a programmable lathe COULD make this shape of mouthpiece; but that was more than 15 years ago, and it seems likely to me that newer equipment and techniques have come up with a BETTER way.

Joe Baker

Follow Ups: