Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An American in Paris--Swing or no swing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Moose on February 15, 2001 at 19:30:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: An American in Paris--Swing or no swing? posted by Sean Chisham on February 15, 2001 at 11:54:17:

I don't know...keeping out of trouble in order to get tenure is more important for those first two years. Afterward, it is all up to the muse when on stage. Our former Jet Set European GMD had little patience with disputation of his "stirring" interpretations (read: everything quite fast...Prokofiev 5 was actually made trite and amusing by this guy...wheeeeee!). And he did leave us alone about 75% of the time. But never question him in front of the ensemble...only in private. When I did the VW, he wanted me to totally rephrase the 2nd mvt and rewrite the 1st cadenza. In THAT case I got on stage and did it right. But he got me back by starting the 3rd at dotted half = 80. I made it. I barely saved my backside on stage. If the GMD has no artistic integrity, how can he respect yours? Do whatever the guy wants. Or sub it out. But do not pick a fight until you have tenure!

God, what a profession...

Follow Ups: