Re: Tuba/Euphonium Study at Penn State

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on February 20, 2001 at 12:43:41:

In Reply to: Tuba/Euphonium Study at Penn State posted by Charles Socki on February 19, 2001 at 21:34:07:

There is however one major disadvantage to Penn State (not singling out penn state) and any school that is not close to an urban area. There is a lacking of things to do, and opportunity to see/hear great art/artists. For schools that are not in a large metropolitan area, or close (about an hour away from one), people often lack in opportunity to see an orchestra every week, or go to an art museaum to see the recently added picasso exhibit.. etc... I think this can greatly affect the well-roundedness of an individual. Although going to art museum may not win you a job, seeing a live orchestra frequently can give you concepts of sound, and often gives you oportunity to work with the musicians in that particular orchestra. Personally, I think if I had to live in a non metropolita area.. I'd go crazy. Many people take for granted what a treat it is to be able to go to the orchestra almost any night of the week, without turning it into a roadtrip. This should be an important factor of any student in choosing a school which they intend to send any amount of time/money on. Many of these "rural schools" have wonderful teachers..(especially penn state), but they often lack the cultural diversity and opportunity for their students that they will encounter later in life.

Follow Ups: