Re: What's REALLY in you CD player?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on February 21, 2001 at 11:18:46:

In Reply to: What's REALLY in you CD player? posted by Carl L on February 21, 2001 at 10:52:17:

I think a few posters did not want to appear to be anything other than hardcore. So maybe a couple of them "enhanced" the contents of their players a bit. But, you will learn more by broadening the contents of that drawer.

Like you, I enjoy listening Marty Robbins, as well as Patsy Klein. But I learned what direction and phrasing were from other non-tuba sources, such as Dietrich Fiescher-Dieskau (I feel the gods of spelling hurling thunderbolts at my head...) singing Brahms songs. And thanks to Chuck Jackson, I discovered Linda Ronstat (BOOM! another damn thunderbolt...) singing with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra for the same musical benefits. (The first of these two discs is the better.)

But nothing beats (for me) the remastered wax roll recording of a sixteen year old Jascha Heifetz playing the "Ave Maria" of Franz Schubert.

I also really enjoy the pure energy and amazing "tightness" of a demo album by a now defunct club band from Denton/UNT comprised of a bunch of guys from the 2:00 Lab Band. The band was called Goodfoot and the album is "Strung Out On Beef, No Doubt" and it is fantastic stuff.

As for what's in my CD player at this particular moment:

dust.

Wade

Follow Ups: