Re: That CD player - True Confessions!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on February 21, 2001 at 19:27:12:

In Reply to: That CD player - True Confessions! posted by Joe Baker on February 21, 2001 at 18:40:54:

This is not a very good one, but is embarrassing none the less. I have a tape of the 1982 TMEA Region XII All-Region Orchestra. We played the Hungarian March, among other things. I had to ask if the tuba transposed down like the bass in orchestral music because I had never seen anything that high for an ensemble part. I had never been able to afford lessons, so I was quite the eager little ignoramus. You see, it was my first time to play in an orchestra. We rehearsed all day, and then I had 24 hours to get the part ready. I had to play it on an old Miraphone 190 4U BBb Kaiser horn (no longer made, or maybe they have brought it back?).

This performance was the exact point in my life where I made the decision to do this for a living, no matter how poor I was going to continue to be. This experience changed the way I thought about the tuba and quite literally changed the course of my entire life.

When I have a rotten day on my axe, or I have to play some really poorly written piece (musical prostitute syndrome), or I lament the fact that my wife and I have no chance to own our own home or have a child in the foreseeable future, this recording always returns me to that night when this was all new, mysterious, and exciting.

I need this recording for the therapeutic value, if not for the music itself. And no one has ever heard it save for my wife. And she can only say, "You have never changed; you played too loudly back then too!"

I kinda thought I nailed it...oh well. It is always hidden, but near. Any takers on the psychoanalysis of THAT one?

WR

Follow Ups: