Re: Re: A Rim Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 22, 2001 at 10:23:31:

In Reply to: Re: A Rim Question posted by Jay Bertolet on February 22, 2001 at 08:19:10:

Now that I've settled on a mouthpiece for the York, the mouthpieces that I use regularly are an Elliott 132 rim, a PT-48, and a Conn Helleberg. The 132 rim is narrow like the Helleberg, but without the flat spot. The PT-48 rim is wider and rounder. But the PT-48 rim and the Elliott 132 rim are about the same diameter. The Helleberg rim is only about 2 thousandths smaller. The Wick 1 I had been using on the York was smaller than the Conn, and never felt comfortable.

The mouthpieces differ in other ways. The Elliott T cup is a toilet bowl, and the 6 throat looks like the Eisenhower tunnel. The PT-48 also has a big hole in it, though the cup is much shallower and more bowl-shaped than the Elliott T. The Helleberg is not quite as big as the T, and the throat is smaller. I guess that's why it's my favorite F tuba mouthpiece!

I'm convinced at this point that the rim should fit the face, and that conviction leads me to agree with Jacobs's advice. But I agree with Jay that the rest of the mouthpiece should fit the horn. The volume and backbore on the Elliott finds the best balance of warm, dark sound and intonation on the York, the bowl of the PT-48 adds color and character to the column-like sound of the Miraphone, and the Helleberg adds depth and volume to the small Yamaha F.

Rick "uses big mouthpieces to fit his big mouth" Denney

Follow Ups: