Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Absolute First Public Solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 26, 2001 at 09:26:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Absolute First Public Solo posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on February 25, 2001 at 15:10:25:

But you can't exactly date players by these things. I played the Grieg in 1970, and what was that date I saw? 1952?

And both of you guys are substantially more, um, "experienced" than I, but indeed Air and Bourree was in my soloing future--1975 to be exact. Long time after you guys.

But I never played Yuba.

And to Chris's "leadenly" comment: When I played In the Hall of the Mountain King, my sister accompanied me on the piano. We started at a sedate, appropriate pace, but the combined nerves of a 7th grader and a 9th grader took their toll, and by the end of the piece we'd nearly doubled the tempo. This was NOT intentional, but it held together well enough to convince the audience on that day (a solo-contest judge of high stature in Houston) that we were making a musical interpretation. It was anything but leaden, which is perhaps surprising, given that I played it on a King plastic sousaphone.

Rick "who didn't have a fourth valve until his senior year in high school" Denney

Follow Ups: