Re: getting prepared to buy 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 26, 2001 at 09:52:13:

In Reply to: getting prepared to buy 6/4 posted by Tim on February 26, 2001 at 08:24:18:

Well, the first step is for you to play both and then decide what works best for you. That said, here is my opinion:

I own a Nirschl York copy and it is far and away the best 6/4 tuba I've ever had in my hands. You have to understand that I've always played rotary valved, Germanic designed tubas and have scoffed at the idea of owning a York clone instrument. I never tried a single one that I liked. But when I first played the Nirschl I now own, it worked for me instantly. I was able to do things right away with that tuba that I had never been able to do. In contrast, I have played many Yorkbrunners and none of them "did it" for me. I always found problems in the low range as well as some intonation issues.

To contrast the two makes directly, here is my experience:

1) Sound is pretty similar with the Yorkbrunner having a little more direct sound. I've heard comments from others who have played the Nirschl who say they didn't think it projected as well but I feel at least part of that is getting used to the blow. This is also true of the Yorkbrunner but the Nirschl also projects much better when you know how to approach it. Warren Deck advised me the best, saying "take the time to get used to the horn". By the way, Warren has two Nirschls.

2) Response is also fairly similar (hey, they are both copies of the same tuba!) but I think the response of the Nirschl is superior. With the right mouthpiece and approach, the notes just leap out of the horn for me. This horn does not feel like a big tuba at all. It just sounds like one. The Yorkbrunners never felt this good to me.

3) Intonation is pretty similar as well but I think that has much more to do with the mouthpiece selection than the differences between the horns. Many respected professionals played on the Nirschl I currently own and made the general comment "great sound, lousy intonation". Using the Laskey 30H mouthpiece I bought when I got my Nirschl, intonation is literally spot on. No alternate fingerings and no slide pulling at all. I would imagine finding a similarly matched mouthpiece for the Yorkbrunner would produce similar results (maybe even the 30H might be the one) but I can't confirm that because I haven't played a Yorkbrunner since I acquired the Laskey mouthpiece. Others on this list (Sean Chisham, for one) have used the Laskey/Yorkbrunner combination and can comment more accurately about that setup.

4) Construction is excellent on both tubas, both companies have an excellent reputation for quality workmanship. I'd call this aspect a wash.

5) Price is where I think the Nirschl really wins out. I've heard all sorts of wild rumors about how expensive Yorkbrunners are but I haven't priced them recently. I do know that the Nirschl is priced at $14,500.00 which was considerably less than I expected. I'm sure someone else will post the current cost of a new Yorkbrunner but I'll bet it is more than the Nirschl. That just seems to be the pattern with Custom Music.

Whichever horn you decide to get, I would advise you to tack on another $1000.00 to your cost projections and take a trip to the factory in Germany. Both manufacturers keep some of these instruments in stock (check with them first) and can give you a selection to choose from. If you stay here in the states, I think they send you one and you're either stuck with it or it will be a big hassle and waste of time to return it and get another. Above all, play the exact horn you are going to buy and be sure that it works for you. Good luck and good hunting!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: