Re: Re: Parantuchi mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 26, 2001 at 11:12:32:

In Reply to: Re: Parantuchi mouthpieces posted by Steve Dedman on February 25, 2001 at 19:27:54:

I think Parantucci mouthpiece can be really good. But they can also be all wrong. And there're so many of them that you'll have a hard time knowing what to look for. I've played a PT-36 that was only okay, a PT-9 (old numbering--I don't know what it is now) that was hopeless on the horn I bought it for, an old PT-2 that held me back, and a PT-48 that I now love. The PT-88 is one of a few standard mouthpieces for pros, but so are a lot of other brands.

I also started on the 24AW, because that's what was stuck in the horn and I didn't know any better. A Bach 18 is widely considered to be a more versatile, general-purpose mouthpiece, and it would not be a bad choice.

But a cup-shaped mouthpiece like a Bach 18 will emphasize a brighter tone on your tuba, which you may or may not like.

This is true also of Steve's PT-48, which has a bowl shape like the 18. The PT-48 is bigger and more open, and can make a really powerful sound. But it takes some getting used to, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for someone who doesn't know what they want. I play a PT-48 on my Miraphone, and I love the sound it gets on that horn. But I would not have felt that way had I used this mouthpiece early on. And it doesn't work on my other big horn.

I would suggest starting with a classic design that has been proven by decades of use by players of all abilities. The Bach 18 is in that category, but I think an even better choice is the Conn Helleberg. Steve likes his PT-48 better than his Helleberg, and so do I. But I would not have appreciated the PT-48 without having spent a few years playing that Conn Helleberg first. Once you get to the point where that mouthpiece is no longer meeting your needs, you'll have a better idea of which way you want to go next. That said, I know several pro players who still use a Helleberg.

By the way, many players never completely settle on a mouthpiece. Just in the last year, I've changed my favored mouthpiece on every one of my instruments. The PT-48 that I now play on my Miraphone was used regularly by a symphony professional who is probably on his third or fourth different mouthpiece since he used this one. So, buying a mouthpiece is not like getting married--you lose no bonus points if you move on in a couple of years.

Another advantage to the Helleberg is that it is inexpensive--no more than the Bach 18.

Rick "not disagreeing with Steve but offering a different view" Denney

Follow Ups: