Re: Where

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on March 01, 2001 at 17:52:59:

In Reply to: Where posted by billy jones on February 28, 2001 at 20:04:28:

Well, let's see.

I studied a woodwind instrument[which shall remain nameless] privately with a member of the Montreal Symphony from a young age, and kept at it for several years... when moving to the United States(and reaching adolescence), I found my calling by ways of High School Marching Band. My first tuba teacher was Jim Garrett. Though I only studied with him for a short time(he died during my junior year, right outside of my high school after teaching several lessons), he is still probably my single largest inspiration... many of you have probably played his tuba quartet arrangements, which he had published under about a half dozen different pseudonyms.
After high school, I enrolled in University as a Composition Major(studied with Robert Jager mainly), and was fortunate enough to study the tuba with R. Winston Morris. It was while touring with the Tennessee Tech Tuba Ensemble that I realized that I wanted to make playing the tuba more than "just a hobby". My last year at Tennessee Tech(but not my Senior year;), I was fortunate enough to take part in the recording of a CD in tribute to Jim Garrett, my first teacher. Among other former students of Jim Garrett(and Tennessee Tech Alumni) who recorded on the CD were Tim Northcut, Mike Dunn, William David Porter, and several others.
Currently I'm doing what I've come to love most, playing in several local amateur ensembles, and even a couple that are semi-professional, and teaching a low brass studio of about 30-35 high school students in Duluth, MN. With half of a composition degree, I'll be re-entering school this fall in pursuit of a tuba performance degree, with aspirations of eventually getting that ideal orchestra gig... but for now, I'll enjoy my T1 connection at work, where I only teach for about 3 of my 8 hours here;^)

Anthony

Follow Ups: