Re: Re: Re: Re: CERVENY 693 vs MIRAFONE 191

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on February 04, 2002 at 23:10:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: CERVENY 693 vs MIRAFONE 191 posted by Randy Mac Iver on February 04, 2002 at 11:33:24:

I have realized the same thing over the past three years on my 186. I started out with the main slide out about 3" and each valve slide out A LOT, but gradually ive come down to my main slide all the way in, and every valve slide is much closer in than back then. Strangely enough, my 5th partial, which was always flat, is now in tune with the rest of the horn. I now have no tuning quirks until i hit the B natural at the top of the staff.
I'd think that it's not necessarily the "Better" player (i know guys better than me who have all their slides almost falling out), but certainly as you focus on one horn for enough time you will adapt to producing a pitch more in tune with the unmodified horn. Since you start with pulled slides, it seems that you get flatter.
I know this will make some folks mad, but i still don't see what's so hot aobut the 191. I thought it was uncomfortable to hold, had bad tuning, and the tone was impossible to control. I blew into it the same way i do my 186 and immediately got the "Splat" sound i so despise. I could not keep the tone clean. The valves sucked, too, which is REALLY unusual for mirafone, so maybe i just tried a bad model?

Doug "191-186=5" G

Follow Ups: