Re: Dent Eraser

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hammerin' Hank on February 05, 2002 at 09:50:40:

In Reply to: Dent Eraser posted by carol on February 04, 2002 at 22:43:13:

I know some of the high volume music stores we read about on this list (Dillon's, BBC) are using the Dent Eraser. After waiting a few weeks for repairmen to get comfortable with this tool, I took my horn in to have some dents removed from the bottom bow. Here's my opinion:

The Dent Eraser is a very good tool. It is far from perfect, and it certainly doesn't do as good a job as removing the dents the old fashioned way. That being said, I had 5 or 6 dents in my horn that I assumed would be there forever because it wasn't worth the expense of having the bow unsoldered, etc. In about 15 minutes with the Dent Eraser those dents were as good as gone. In some cases, there is a trace of dent left, and almost everywhere the tool was used the finish is marred. (My horn is silverplate, I can't imagine what it would do to a lacquer finish.) Overall, I'm very happy with the result. I hated those dents!

One last thing.... In my opinion, this is one tool best left to the professional repairmen. The magnet is VERY powerful, and could inflict serious damage on your instrument if used improperly.

Follow Ups: