Re: The Freeway Philly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubadeer on February 06, 2002 at 14:01:28:

In Reply to: The Freeway Philly posted by Bill on February 06, 2002 at 10:29:46:

i play in an amateur brass band at the school where I completed my BM. I don't get paid anything other than a line to put on my resume. In this case, the conductor (who happens to be my former teacher) likes having me play to reinforce the section, made up of 2 local band directors (one was a tuba major), and two undergraduates. Because I play more than the rest of the section, (due to their occupations and / or career goals), this is seen as a big help. However, since I play e-flat, it might eventually make sense for one of the students to take this spot for the experience. Then I probably won't be "needed" anymore. At any rate, I enjoy doing this, and nothing is stopping anyone else in the ensemble from voicing complaints about my playing.
I know this is a different situation, (since there are actually multiple tubists), but I suppose the same could be said for groups with one player. It's all in fairness in my opinion, the best man/woman should win. If someone from the "big city" is better than someone from a tiny little town, (or vice versa) it still is fact. I wouldn't be upset if and when I am beaten fair and square, it is all a part of this life. just go on and keep working for the next gig.

Follow Ups: