Re: The Freeway Philly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by from a philly on February 07, 2002 at 10:11:37:

In Reply to: The Freeway Philly posted by Bill on February 06, 2002 at 10:29:46:

I understand what you might be thinking here, but in this world, we all have to grab the bone somehow. I have to get my gigs where I can get them. If I have to drive 2 hours, so be it. i don't ever feel guilty that I am playing the gig rather than a local player. I assume that either the local guy could not do it, or was not in good standing with the people hiring...either way it's not my concern. I always try to be nice and professional about tings. If there is a gig that I know another tuba player has been doing steadily, I will inquire as to why he was not called...and nine times out of ten it is because he was called and not available. I have friends that are tuba players and want jobs to, and the work gets spread around. There is no reason to be a jerk and fight for gigs and risk pissing off the other guys. A lot of times it is the other guys that call you when they have to miss something. The only way I keep my chops in shape is by honkin in my basement. I have no steady gigs that I can use to keep the chops up. It may seem harsh, but what negative effects on the local guy are you talking about? If he were a great player, he would get called. If he is an OK player, they just might want a great player, and the local guy should try to become a great player. I dont find fault with people wanting to get the best player possible. OK sometimes isnt good enough. I am sure I dont get clls for this reason too.

Follow Ups: