Re: Re: Re: Re: Arnold Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on February 08, 2002 at 10:16:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Arnold Jacobs posted by Knee jerk on February 08, 2002 at 10:01:46:

Of course, "Knee jerk" is way off the mark here. All opinions are valid. The problem lies when people get combative and just plain mean with their comments. This ain't the Jerry Springer Show. Keep the conversations more along the lines of the Larry King Show and people will be more willing to listen.

Personally, I was tought a great lesson by Vincent Cichowitz, probably bothched the spelling, in a class I took from him at Northwestern on music listening. He would play excerpts from the same tune with 3-4 different orchestras. Chicago Symphony was usually one of them. The class would discuss which ones they liked and rate them top to bottom. Almost everytime the Chicago Symphony did not even make the top two. It all came down to style and interpretation. For Russian music we almost always loved the Slavic orchestras. German music went to the German orchestras, etc.

There is a depth to Arnold Jacobs' playing that is difficult to grasp at first. I would compare it to playing an REM tune and a Beethoven Symphony back to back at a footbal game and asking the crowd which one they find more entertaining. I would guess that Beethoven would loose.

These are opinions and each is entitled to her own. If Arnold Jacobs, or Yo Yo Ma, or Perlman, or Dennis Brain don't excite you, then that is your choice. It is an artform which is never black and white.

sean

Follow Ups: