Re: Arnold Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on February 08, 2002 at 12:38:49:

In Reply to: Arnold Jacobs posted by tin ear? on February 08, 2002 at 09:10:59:

Hey, everyone has their opinions. Personally, I do not care listening to Louis Armstrong although I respect what he did for Jazz. Maybe I just don't get it with his playing.

There has been some discussion about recording techniques, analog vs digital, LP vs CD for listening to this. I have been in the stereo buisiness for some 25 years and have noticed that everyone's hearing is different. Many times I would point out to a client an instrument at a particular frequency and they could not hear it. Some people cannot hear high frequencies, some lack mid or low end hearing. I once had someone turn up the highs on the tinniest speaker in the shop so he could hear the hi-hats - I got a headache.

What are you listening to this on? I'm not saying that you need a class A amplifier and subwoofers like I have but are these recordings being played from an MP3 on PC speakers or is this a legit stereo? Could it be on a surround system that throws frequencies all over the place? I hope you are not coming to a conclusion like this by listening to these recordings through a PC, Walkman or Boombox.

There are old classic recordings that, from a technical aspect are not very good but should we throw out the old Toscanini Beethoven cycle or old recordings of Caruso? No, you listen to the great artistry and realize the recording is not up to modern standards. Guess the same is true about movies. I have a niece that refuses to watch anything in Black and White. She did not know what she was missing when I put on Citizen Kane.

Finally, I second what Sean said about Vince Chicowitz's class at Northwestern. I thought that was the best class I had at Northwestern.

Follow Ups: