Re: Re: Tempi for orch. exc. for tapes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on February 08, 2002 at 15:31:52:

In Reply to: Re: Tempi for orch. exc. for tapes posted by original poster on February 08, 2002 at 12:01:20:

I would have to wonder if Jarrod really answered your question. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that he was being sarcastic and poking fun at the question. Mahler 1 should never go that fast, nor should Prokofiev 5 ever be that slow. You were about right with your suggestions for Mahler 1 and Meistersinger. I play the Hungarian March at the printed tempo (88). Prokofiev is around 68, and the Ride can be anywhere from 72-90, though I'd recommend something around 80-84. Sym Fant. can also be done at a variety of tempos, but I'd try to stick around 150-170. Again, go with your favorite interpretation, whether it be from Pokorny, a live concert yo heard or recordings of the works. If the interpretation makes sense to you musically, then you will most likely have the best shot at sounding good with it. Also make sure you are viewing the excerpt in the context of the list. Ask yourself, "why did they ask for this excerpt?" You will probably come up with answers that wil influence the way you play an excerpt, particularly in terms of tempo and style.

Follow Ups: