Re: skin problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken on February 09, 2002 at 11:43:20:

In Reply to: skin problems posted by Shawn Chisholm on February 04, 2002 at 23:22:21:

I understand entirely. I am now exteremly sensitive to some of the components in older brass due to a stupid idea back in highschool. (I played on raw brass mouthpiece for many months, really messed up my lymphnodes and caused all sorts of skin problems.)

To this day I can't play on a mouthpiece that's not almost perfectly smooth. And I can't cut off my beard with out having severe problems. The solution for me was to go gold and be careufl with the rim. What I'd reccomend you to do is this:
1. Call up Doug Elliot and have him make you up some nylon rim mpc's
2. If I'm not mistaken, that's a pistion horn. Borrow someone who's good at sewing and have them fit leather sections over ANY part of the horn that you come in contact with. (Of course, clean the horn good first.) This might even have to include the fingercaps of the pistons. These'll have to be very carefully done, but it should be possible.
3. Make SURE that it's not your valve oil or cleaner that you're allergic to.

I'd also set up some sort of test where you are passed different metals by a friend while you have a blindfold on to see which get you going more.

Good luck.

Follow Ups: