Re: Re: mouthpiece question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 11, 2002 at 11:26:37:

In Reply to: Re: mouthpiece question posted by Klaus on February 11, 2002 at 11:10:12:

Length of the main bugle: Is your instrument made to an A=435 standard? If your instrument has a relatively long main tuning slide pull, then that would be the place for an adjustment.
---Tuning slide is quite short; it could not be shortened. It is all the way in. I suspect the tuba is 435, and the band the previous owner played with was not tuned as sharp as the band I play with. I could probably lip to 440, but 446 is too far.

Oversize mouthpiece: Personally I have not met that problem, but you are lighter built in all dimensions. A smaller mouthpiece like the Conn Helleberg 7B (?) might solve your problem, especially concerning the 3rd component:

Speed of air through the lips/diaphragm placement: If you relax too much to get a bigger/darker sound on a smaller instrument, then your diaphragm might be placed too low. If your sound concept combined with your mouthpiece is "bigger" than your instrument/body dimensions/strength of support allow for, then the result might be flatness.
------I'm lipping the pitch up to the point where it actually breaks into the next partial. I use a lot of air, in addition to the lip tension. The tuba is just too flat, or the band is just too sharp. This tuba has a beautiful dark sound with the 18E; my attempts to get the pitch up brighten the sound. I figured I could work less hard and get the same sound with a shallower mpc, if the mpc helped to raise the pitch.

We might be of about the same age. We both are working at odd projects. I have 40 or 50 kilograms in advantage. I wish you all the best.

Klaus
------I suspect we are about the same age. Starting playing brass at age 45 has been one of the more rewarding projects I've taken on. (105 lbs dripping wet.)

PS: I never came to congratulate you on your tuba. This be done hereby!
------
Thanks! I had to wait for the right size tuba at the right price. I'm having a lot of fun with the brass band pieces....there are some pretty amazing tuba parts.

Follow Ups: