Re: just a tad sharp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Ross on February 12, 2002 at 17:02:03:

In Reply to: just a tad sharp posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 12, 2002 at 11:14:23:

I hate chiming in with a "me too" answer, but I've had a Yamaha 631 Eb for about two years now with very similar results to those described in the other posts.

When I first got the horn I tried using the 67C4 mouthpiece it came with and it was so sharp it was impossible to tune with the B&H Eb I sat next to - yes I mean impossible.

A switch to either a King 7B (small helleberg copy) or a 24AW mouthpiece got the thing tuneable, but with the slides hanging in by a thread.

Two years of getting to know each other later and I can play with the 1st and 3rd slides most of the way in and the main slide farther out than I'd like, but with enough free play to make necessary adjustments.

On the other hand, many folks have commented on how good the intonation is within the tuba's range - it plays very in tune with itself, just the tuning with everything else is questionable.

By the way, I like your pictures - that is one serious "Southern Gentleman's" face warmer you've got on the go there. Having just gone outside to bring in the recycling buckets in our about zero farenheit (-12 or something Celsius) "heat", it makes me wonder why I shave.

Mike Ross

Follow Ups: