Re: Re: Re: Army Band Audition Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on February 13, 2002 at 09:25:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Army Band Audition Question posted by james on February 13, 2002 at 07:47:57:

You're right about only using an F tuba for the solo at the audition. CC tuba is the only horn in the last round.

As far as the tape goes, put whatever makes you sound the most outstanding. If that is BBb Helicon, F tuba, or 3 valved Eb tuba than do it. The accepted tapes are generally remarkably excellent. The recording quality should be of the highest standards also to give you an edge. I would recommend a digital recording mixed onto a CD. Of course you can do analog, but try to keep it as clean as possible. The problem with analog tapes are the dynamics must be more compressed otherwise the tape distorts and they usually have a lot more background noise.

The material should be around 8-15 minutes I would guess of whatever makes you stand out as a world class musician. If you have an accompanied solo that sounds great, than a few minutes or a movement of that wouldn't hurt. I can't stress enough just how outstanding the tapes which are accepted are. Invariably everytime a few of the tapes come in that sound like someone pulled out their Rochut book and layed down some tracks at the last minute in a practice room with a boombox recording them while construction was going on upstairs. Take some pride in auditioning for jobs and do it right.

BTW, as I am way down on the totem pole of seniority in the band I will not have any voting power at all on the audition. That goes to guys who have been here a while, usually over 10 years or so. These opinions are not official in any way.

sean

Follow Ups: