Re: the meaning of "metronome"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Hawkins on February 13, 2002 at 11:54:57:

In Reply to: the meaning of "metronome" posted by Hiram Diaz on February 12, 2002 at 23:49:45:

The word "metronome" comes from the Greek word metron, meaning to control, with the French application of nomos, or law. And we all know that to be the consummate musician, we must also seek to be the ultimate controlling S.O..... One thing we all tend to forget, when doing our "Carnival of Venice", is that great performers never miss!! They are like great atheletes. They always "keep both feet in bounds", "get the serve in", or "sink that winning free throw". Consistency is the road to professionalism, and a paycheck. There is nothing more consistent than a metronome, it never misses. I recommend that one develop a healthy relationship with one's metronome. The metronome is your friend. He is your pal, your buddy, your playmate, literally. If you listen, truly listen to him, he will reveal to you your innermost secrets(deficiencies). He can also take that wandering mind, as mentioned in a previous post, away from that guy, girl,with the big....that works in the library, and help to focus it on the task at hand (no, not that hand). In fact, I have even named mine. Eddie, as in steady. He's always in control. Eddie and I have been getting together everyday for my warm-up and some parts of my study, since I discovered music more than a few years ago. Eddie has many brothers and sisters out there, looking for someone to be a friend to. I hope you find one like I did. Got to go, I think I hear Eddie calling.......

Follow Ups: