Re: Re: All opinions on choices for first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 14, 2002 at 21:53:23:

In Reply to: Re: All opinions on choices for first tuba posted by Dale on February 14, 2002 at 12:37:03:

I agree with Dale. The old advice of try them all and pick the one that picks you doesn't really work for a novice. They all sound the same, and they either feel the same or you can't put a value on the differences.

I say buy one that is a well-established and highly respected model, and you'll have an instrument that you can sell for what you paid for it if you take really good care of it. That way, you can spend a few years play-testing it, and if you decide you don't like it, you can trade it for something better, and be much better equipped to make a choice.

With that in mind, and considering that the Meinl-Weston 20 is small and not the general-purpose size of a Model 25, I would recommend the Miraphone. If you don't overpay for a good used example, you'll always be able to get most or all of your money back out of it if it doesn't work out. But chances are it will work out just fine. It is one of the few instruments that is relatively easy to play for a novice but still gives you something to work on years from now.

Rick "who never regrets owning a Miraphone, even though he rarely plays it" Denney

Follow Ups: