Re: Buying Tubas at Conventions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by E. Oliver on February 14, 2002 at 22:40:21:

In Reply to: Buying Tubas at Conventions posted by James Rees on February 14, 2002 at 19:53:26:

The price is slightly discounted at TMEA sometimes, but in Texas, you will have to pay a killer sales tax, and that will take away the discount and add some on top. Secondly, I would recommend that you either a) visit dealer at his location where you can take light of his full stock or b) test a horn out on trial basis. In my experience, convention horns tand to seem better than they actually are when you are in a bind and hear a good price. I have been at MEA for the last three years, and this year will make four. This is the only year I have not gone with buying a horn in mind. I met the people I eventually bought my horns from, but I did not buy them off the floor.
Custom Music is usually at the convention (usually right inside the entrance) and, to my knowledge Mirafone, Brook Mays, Baltimore Brass will also be there. The horns you listed will be able to be played at Custom Music, but I highly recommend finding David Fedderly (he usually has a Meinl Weston Stand) and speaking with him abotu his used stock. I think he has a HB 21 and 2P used in right now as well as a Nirschl and a holton ruck cut or something. And if you don't buy from him, he's still great to talk to.

eo

Follow Ups: