Re: Corridos tuba licks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on February 15, 2002 at 10:46:38:

In Reply to: Corridos tuba licks? posted by jlb on February 15, 2002 at 08:56:33:

I've been doing a little looking into Mexican music myself. I think Corridos refers to a style of music where a story is told, I suppose the equivalent of a ballad. There is quite a variety of Mexican music styles and I have a hard time figuring out what is what. I've become quite fond what I call Banda style music. Sort of the Mexican version of the Polka. Typically played on a sousaphone. I would describe the tuba parts as Oom Pah with a Mexican flair, and then some. I would love to play some but I can't find any sheet music. If anybody knows where to find some PLEASE let me know! I keep meaning to set up the CD player and try to play along by ear.

Amazon has a large selection of Banda music, with sounds clips. I've pasted one below. I went to the local Best Buy (new) here in central PA and was amazed to see a large latino music section with over a dozen different Banda el X....... groups. Two groups that I like are Banda el Recodo and Banda el Limon.

Follow Ups: