Re: Low end on a Rudy Meinl CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 17, 2002 at 11:07:24:

In Reply to: Low end on a Rudy Meinl CC posted by Kurt on February 17, 2002 at 00:53:30:

I was a little surprised to read your comments regarding the stuffy low range on your Rudy rotary 4/4. I own an RM-10 myself and the low range on that horn is exceptional. If you're having trouble with your horn, here are some things I would try.

What mouthpiece are you using? For me, the best choice was a Bach 18. This mouthpiece was big enough for all the playing I do but not a tub. Also, it yielded about the best intonation of any mouthpiece I tried on that horn. If you're using a funnel cup mouthpiece (like a Helleberg for example) that might be part of the problem. I've found those mouthpieces don't work as well on the Rudy for me.

Are all the mechanical items okay? By that, I mean are the valves in alignment? No blockages in the horn or gunk in the leadpipe? I would definitely check the horn out to make sure there aren't any surprises there. You never know what can get into a horn or how even a new instrument can have some mechanical flaw like a mis-aligned valve. Just check and make sure that isn't the problem.

What technique are you using in the low range? Are you using the same embouchure as when you play in other ranges? I found that when I stopped trying to do something special with my embouchure to play anything below a low F, the horn responded much better. If you're doing something funny with your face to play the low notes, or putting your embouchure out of center to play in that range, it might be part of the problem as well. The only note that I find on my horn that is at all a challenge is the pedal D. As long as I remain firm in my embouchure and keep the airstream steady and consistent, the notes just pop out.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: