Re: DAVID CHILDS - EUPHONIUM VIRTUOSO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Jones on February 18, 2002 at 19:55:34:

In Reply to: DAVID CHILDS - EUPHONIUM VIRTUOSO posted by Bob on February 15, 2002 at 09:20:15:

I believe Mr. Childs is certainly a bright young star. Me being only 20 years of age myself can relate to him quite a bit. As far as being the best player alive on the euphonium in 5 years, that's a pretty bold statement. There are MANY great young euphonium players out there, and he is just one of them. As far as the best alive right now, undoubtably, that title belongs to Steve Mead, and will for quite some time to come. Players such as Adam Frey, Shoichiro Hokozana, Matt Tropman, and many others are also up there in the ranks. Also the people who finish high at these ITEC and Falcone competitions cannot be overlooked. I'm referring to people such as Matt Murchison (UNT), Mark Jenkins (whom I have competed with and is a FINE player...extremely impressive technique...also at UNT), and Brian Meixner (who is also at UNT and has a cd out). You cannot overlook these people. I also forgot Jason Ham (who won the ITEC last year in the artist euphonium beating out Mark Jenkins and myself....also a PHENOMENAL performer....gave one of the best performances of the Wilby concerto I've ever heard). Anyway, my point is made. Mr. Childs is definitely one of the best, but notice I said "one of", not THE best.

Follow Ups: