Re: favorite valve oil and why

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 18, 2002 at 22:41:47:

In Reply to: favorite valve oil and why posted by curious euph player on February 18, 2002 at 19:46:47:

Two of my favorites are Roche-Thomas and Holton. With respective viscosities of 3.43 and 3.46, I've seen virtually no difference in their performance. They protect low brass piston valves, and produce a fast, dependable action in all sorts of weather. The Hetman line of lubricants are really nice, although more expensive, and give the valves a really exquisite feel. I have had good experience with the Super J line, which is composed of grain alcohol, vegetable oil, and citrus solvent. It is non-toxic, and all ingredients are listed on the MSDS as "food grade" Yup, you could drink it- the only issue is that your horn and case smell like a screwdriver. This oil yield a tremendously fast action, but doesn't last as long as some other lubricants. Using this requires once- or twice-daily oilings on large pistons, but the rotor mixture lasts longer.
I do not recommend Al Cass for any piston larger than a trumpet piston. I have seen so many cases of premature valve wear where the player was using Al Cass. Traditional oils, which are petroleum distillates, leave a residue behind, so when your valves get sluggish you know it's time to re-oil. Al Cass, as I understand it, consists of petroleum solvents, is very clean, but when it evaporates, nothing is left, and your valves are running on only the moisture in your horn, which is not a good thing. If you must use it, use a LOT of it.
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: