Re: Best F tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HCritchley on February 20, 2002 at 08:46:20:

In Reply to: Best F tuba? posted by CE on February 20, 2002 at 01:32:49:

I couldn't resist a comment on this one. I have been playing the F-tuba as my principal instrument for the past fifty years. My first was an Alex, second a Miraphone and I presently have a Kalison 6/4, six valve model. I have played in German orchestras and find their interpretation of the F different than ours. It is their principal orchestral horn and wedded to the trombone section. Bass for them comes from the doublebasses, and plenty of it too. Americans like the F because it gets around the upper register like a sports car, whereas a large CC handles like a truck by comparison. What is usually forgotten in this quest for agility is a pleasing low register and good intonation. If you are serious about the F remember that "low notes are where it's at" with any tuba. That's what we're for. To completely know and express the lower register will require the sixth valve, a large bore and very accessible tuning slides. I have always considered the F to be the most versatile tuba in the hands of an expert. You may also consider a small CC which makes a good job of the same upper register without sounding like a euphonium. That last item is important. Good Luck, H. Critchley

Follow Ups: