Re: Re: Re: Re: Where is the BEST place to study?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by the school itself is important on February 22, 2002 at 12:22:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Where is the BEST place to study? posted by a tuba dad on February 22, 2002 at 09:29:57:

I think that the school itself (other students, faculty, ensembles, etc.) should weigh at least as much as the teacher in one's college decision making. In my experience, a student can and should learn as much (and maybe more) from the other players (students) around him/her as from the private teacher. When I was in college, I spent several hours a week in wind ensemble, orchestra, and quintet rehearsals and coachings, as well as weekly excerpt reading sessions with a low-brass section. Additionally, I spent a great deal of time playing for and receiving comments from other students as well as hearing them play. I spent far less time with my teacher - a one hour lesson and a one hour masterclass (my teacher was generous, so sometimes I got an extra 1 hour lesson). So, I spent at most, three hours a week with my teacher, versus more than three hours every day with other faculty and students from the school. I'm by no means saying that the teacher is not important, but I believe the school is at least equally important. Ultimately, you want both to excellent.

Follow Ups: