Re: decibels during practice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lesley on February 25, 2002 at 23:45:39:

In Reply to: decibels during practice posted by Sean Chisham on February 25, 2002 at 20:48:33:

Try using the high quality "musicians" earplugs. They knock the edge off volume levels with almost no distortion of pitch. I have also found that the resonance of your own instrument somehow still allows you to hear yourself louder than surrounding players. I use my earplugs religiously as an English Hornist in rehearsals and performances where I'm in the "firing line" of the low brass section, especially when the trombones feel they have something to prove (Mahler). I started to do this after I realized I was leaving rehearsals with ringing in my ears and fear of hearing loss in my heart.

My one warning - check the volume level of your own voice when you're wearing them, or you may find yourself unwittingly yelling rude comments that you thought you were just muttering to the person next to you!

good luck, and make sure you splurge for the "good ones". You do truly get what you pay for with earplugs.

Follow Ups: