Re: decibels during practice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Whitlow - dealt with this a lot! on February 26, 2002 at 12:30:07:

In Reply to: decibels during practice posted by Sean Chisham on February 25, 2002 at 20:48:33:

As a band director, I have attempted to combat this problem a great deal. Since I became a director, six years ago, I have developed tinnitus. My ears continually ring and for the first year, it just about drove me crazy. Because of this, I regularly have my hearing checked and have become very sensitive (cognitively speaking) to loud noises. Without having read the other posts, I will make a few comments.

1. I would suggest having musicians plugs made for yourself. A mold is inserted into your ear and then sent to a lab to be made. Although nothing beats playing without ear plugs, these are better than nothing. Essentially, the "turn the volume down" without muffling sounds or making notes appear to be out-of-tune. They are wonderful for conducting...I use them all the time. Mine were the best $195 I have ever spent.

2. I encourage you to take a look at OSHA's website to see what the work restrictions are concerning decibel levels v. time exposed. Very good information to have.

Best of luck as I know this is a growing concern. Be glad you are aware of it now before it becomes a more serious issue.

Josh

Follow Ups: