Re: Buying My Kid a Tuba Reprised -long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Morgan on February 26, 2002 at 19:07:04:

In Reply to: Buying My Kid a Tuba Reprised -long posted by Atlanta Tuba Dad on February 26, 2002 at 18:13:23:

Hey Tuba Dad,

When I was in high school I had the privilege of going to a fantastic summer music camp, the Usdan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts on Long Island, NY. It was the warm surroundings and great people that influenced me to continue to play the tuba and to learn more about it. The summer before my sophomore year of high school I was fortunate enough to get my first tuba.

Like many other folks out there, I had NO IDEA what to buy. My dad placed an ad in the paper looking for a tuba. I don't remember what it said, but I bet it was something funny like "Wanted: tuba, cheap, etc." Just like me, he had no idea what to ask for. As I understand it, through a dumb stroke of luck, a parent of a professional tuba player (I believe I have seen his posts on TubeNet), contacted their son and had him call me with some advice. I was beginning to catch on that the tuba community is very friendly and very close knit. He advised me on what horn I should buy based on how much money we could spend. I was really fortunate to get some advice on what horns are decent and what to stay away from. At the time, TubeNet and the internet didn't exist.

What is the purpose of my reply? Well, I guess my purpose is to say thank you to Sean Chisham for providing the tuba community with a means to communicate in a grand scale. I have learned so much from everyone who has posted.

Thanks!
Todd Morgan

Follow Ups: