Re: BSO Rejection - Now what?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rod Mathews on February 28, 2002 at 20:03:54:

In Reply to: BSO Rejection - Now what? posted by Steve on February 28, 2002 at 17:30:33:

OK, knowing full well that this is going to set off a big discussion, I'm curious about something. This isn't directed at the original poster, but rather to the entire community. For the record, I didn't submit an application to Boston, and have no interest in doing so.

The Boston Symphony is hiring an employee. That employee happens to be someone who will play tuba in the orchestra. They have screened applications, and have chosen the folks that they want to hear for the live audition (or interview). Some folks who were not accepted will attempt to attend the audition anyway, and some will go so far as to say it's their right to go and audition for the job.

Let's look at a different scenario. Let's say Bill Gates retires tomorrow as Chairman of Microsoft. There won't be an open interview, and if someone isn't invited to interview for the job they usually won't say that it wasn't a fair process. There is certainly no provision for someone to show up and say "hey, you are required to talk to me because I think I'm qualified." In the business world that's how it works.

So, why do folks have a different attitude towards orchestra auditions?

Please keep in mind that there is no union requirement that orchestras hold open auditions for every candidate in every corner of the world. The collective bargaining agreements that orchestras negotiate with their musicians outlines the audition process, with some guidance from organizations like ICSOM or ROPA. That audition process usually says something about qualified candidates, which opens up the judgement door.

Also, please keep in mind that this isn't aimed at any individual. I'm just curious about what people think.

What do I think? I think that major, top ten orchestras eventually hire who they want to regardless of the audition process, and the audition process for a top ten orchestra is largely irrelevant and generally a waste of time for most people involved.

Thanks!

Rod Mathews

Follow Ups: