Re: Valve guides

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 04, 2003 at 08:25:06:

In Reply to: Valve guides posted by Stephen Dombrowski on February 03, 2003 at 20:30:53:

I think your instrument may have a problem with the channels, or keyways in the valve casings. I have had two calls on that very problem on 2145's this week.
In my experience, the nylon valve guides just will not tolerate any abuse (intended or otherwise), and calcification build-up in the channels will eat them up quickly. If an instrument is kept clean and the valves are very carefully re-inserted after oiling, the nylon guides should last for several years, even on instrument that are played for hours on a daily basis. Metal valve guides work just fine, too, provided they are fitted tightly enough.
I have seen a number of piston tubas that have channels that had sharp edges or other small flaws, and one small flaw is all it takes to make big problems. On piston tubas, I clean the channels and then use specialized tools if necessary to remove any burrs, rough or sharp edges. This normally results in my being able to fit the guide tighter in the channel, which enhances alignment and makes them quieter, too.
I suggest that you have a professional technician check it out for you, as that will save you a bit of trouble in the long run.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: