Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flogging a dead horse...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 04, 2003 at 13:29:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flogging a dead horse... posted by Rick Denney on February 04, 2003 at 11:49:31:

Your explanation certainly seems to make sense and therefore serves as a pretty good speculation. Since I presently play a CC tuba and learned to play on a BBb, I have had a good deal of experience playing the two. Though I have learned to play comfortably in all keys on my CC, there is less call for cortortions when I play in sharps. When playing in a band, as an example, I see a good deal more sharps. This is when the BBb tuba would be a LITTLE easier. Sharp keys are just not really a problem. I believe this fits with your "hypothesis."

Additionally, we often see where a particular outstanding player can influece many in their purchase of equipment. This is prevalent even today. Suffice it to say that not everyone ends up with a perfect match for them. They often are adapting to the equipment they have purchased. Their purchase is often made because "Mr. Awesome Player" uses this or that brand, model, key, or mouthpiece choice. This could certainly have been the case in the area you addressed with your post concerning the choice of CC or BBb tubas for use in orchestras.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: