Re: Re: I envy all of you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 06, 2003 at 11:26:27:

In Reply to: Re: I envy all of you posted by The Sock on February 05, 2003 at 22:15:35:

I believe Mr. Sock's comments above are excellent. Much of what gets said on this BBS is about finding any possible edge. When competing for some of the work available, one finds it to one's advantage to perform better. In order to do this, we look for anything, ANYTHING that might help. Even if it only helps a little, we want that edge. This is true in competition for jobs, and it is true in pursuit of performing the music at the very highest level. The higher the level we can reach represents increased enjoyment of the music and striving for excellence. The striving for excellence may be the single most important part of our endeavor. This forum provides an excellent opportunity to share ideas. Some of these ideas may be poor, weak, and perhaps ridiculous. Some of them are truly wise and excellent. There are many types of people who post here. Some don't know much. Some just want a place to be heard. Some just want to be disruptive. However, many offer wonderful ideas. I, for one, don't mind sorting through it all and keeping the jewels.

By the way, to call all of us "horn snobs" is painted with a rather broad brush. In my case, I own a Miraphone 186 CC with 5 valves which I purchased new in 1974. A couple of years ago, I bought a 1924 Conn Eb with 3 valves. These are my axes. I use fairly standard mouthpieces on them. If that qualifies me to be a "horn snob," so be it.

I hope to see some of you in San Antonio next week.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: