Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I envy all of you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on February 06, 2003 at 22:48:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: I envy all of you posted by Ross on February 06, 2003 at 10:56:56:

Tubas, by the nature of their sound, are extremely accomodating instruments, as far as precise pitch perception to the average listener is concerned. Their big, round, mellow sound (in general) and low frequency pitches are very good cloaks for slightly-off intonation.

I've teased a lot of people as far as their "American" vs. "German" spiel, but the truth of the matter is that (again in general) the sound qualities of the more chimney-shaped bells are easier to aurally discern intonation vs. the wide-open "funnel"-shaped bells.

A curious thing is that many tubas (admittedly plenty of exceptions) with the "chimney"-shaped bells - such as Miraphone, etc., naturally play better in-tune that many of the wide-flairing "funnel"-shaped bells (MW-2155, as an example).

Further, when the wide-flairing belled tubas are played out-of-tune in octaves with - let's say - a bass trombone, they still often sound sort of "OK", whereas those "chimney"-shaped bell tubas playing out-of-tune with a bass trombone often are more bothersome to the ear simply because the intonation discrepancies are easier to hear in the sound qualities that "chimney"-shaped bells produce.

You certainly can offer your 95% / 5% thing. Of course it's partially true and partially a favorite musicians' platitude. I find that instruments that "want to" play "95% in-tune" are more likely to be played 95% in-tune by 95% of their players. I don't necessarily define my own musicianship by how much of a "hero" I am because I own a wretchedly out-of-tune instrument but still am an "amazing" enough "musician" to force it to play acceptably well in-tune.

Joe "trying to be provocative to encourage more views expressed on this...Don't interpret this as a flame." S.

Follow Ups: