Re: flowing upper register

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 07, 2003 at 01:17:37:

In Reply to: flowing upper register posted by jake sorensen on February 07, 2003 at 00:08:24:

Jake,

One way I work on my upper register by practicing a number of sheet music pieces I ordered from Patrick Sheridan on his web site at www.patricksheridan.com

He sells the music from his Bob Bons and Lollipops CDs, along with the piano parts. He provides parts for both C and Eb (bass and treble on most). Playing these pieces regularly will develop a solid register through F above staff.

For me, I've found that working on the upper register is easier when it's being done in the context of playing a lyrical melody. The emphasis is more focussed on producing a singing quality. I'm not suggesting you disregard exercise book material, but that this material will give you a nice supplement.

Also, it's a tremendous advantage to be able to buy the CDs and listen to Mr. Sheridan perform the pieces. He turns such simple lines into the most amazing music, and for me, really embodies fluidity and musicality in the upper register. This material is a great resource for all tubists to be aware of.

Tony E

Follow Ups: