Re: I envy all of you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 07, 2003 at 15:55:40:

In Reply to: I envy all of you posted by JIm on February 05, 2003 at 21:43:53:

Lots of folks have made good comments, and I agree with most of them.

The point of an Internet discussion group is to discuss. As I have said before, we would all rather sit in someone's living room and play quartets. At some point in the day, we can't play any longer but we can spend a little time with our friends and talk about playing. So, where do we expect these conversations to go? Tubenet, just like any correspondence forum (whether on the Internet or on the Letters to the Editor page), is a place where we attempt to use words to describe concepts. In so doing, we enhance our enjoyment of those concepts as we improve out understanding of them. But we tend to greater and greater precision in our use of those words as we refine our thinking.

Many of the things I talk about are not relevant to my playing, because I'm not good enough to take advantage of them. I enjoy talking about tubas, and tuba playing. I enjoy looking at pictures of them. I like reading about them. Fondling them with various tools also brings enjoyment. I even occasionally enjoy playing them. When I'm playing, I'm not thinking about the discussion of pitch centering or intonation from the day's current Tubenet thread, though the concepts that came to me via words are built into my tuba-playing ideals and consequently do shape my playing to some extent.

I don't really understand the "horn snobs" comment. 30+ years ago, the Miraphone you owned was THE horn to own. To those of us who did our best with plastic sousaphones and three-valve Besson student horns, a Miraphone was hopelessly extravagant. We thought those of our age group who played Miraphones were the horn snobs. So, we tend to think of those who own more expensive horns as being horn snobs, and this also applies to those who owned cheaper horns who are thinking about us. And the accusation of snobbishness, which often contains at least a trace of envy, will be all the sharper if our own ability to participate is taken away from us, as it has been for you. I make no reproach--I know about this because it is often the way I feel, and I do share with others much sympathy for your circumstance.

I have to admit, however, that my envy has less to do with instruments and more to do with talent. I sit next to a player who is better than I am in most ways, though he is younger and has far less experience than I. Yes, I'm guilty of talent envy.

The claim of materialism is easy to make, and in this society falls on fertile ground. It seems to me, however, that we are quick to accuse others of being focused on the things, while missing the value of what one does with those things. I don't need the tubas that I own. But I'm an amateur, and I don't need any of them. Even so, the fellow whose talent spun that bell or hammered that bottom bow might not respect my playing, but he will respect my appreciation for his efforts. If my other obligations are met (which is between me and God), then my acquisitions need no justification except to those to whom I'm responsible. That doesn't make me a snob, unless I hold your different priorities against you.

Rick "who has no problem with owning things, but guards against being owned by them" Denney

Follow Ups: