Re: Re: Re: 3/4 BBb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 10, 2003 at 09:23:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 3/4 BBb Tuba posted by Rick Denney on February 09, 2003 at 18:09:42:

The Rudolf Meinl that most closely correlates with our idea of "3/4 BBb tuba" is the 1/2 size Rudolf Meinl BBb tuba. Actually, the 1/2 size is available in 4-rotary BBb or 5-rotary CC, and play just great. The reason you are not likely to see one on these shores is, that most people aren't willing to pay $5,000+ for a small BBb tuba.

The Josef Lidl LBB-701 is a very good quality 3/4 BBb tuba. In the days just before the Army Band's Tuba-euphonium Conference, I disassembled the one I have here to inspect and clean it. I did not want to tell anyone that they were the best thing since sliced bread if the rotors were not well-made. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find how well they were made. I would compare the quality of the valve construction I inspected to that of the professional model Mirafones. Everything was tight and right. The Lidl is a compact instrument, but has a bell flare that is reminescent of the old Conn 3/4 BBb tubas. I will have a Lidl tuba available for play-testing at the SERTEC in Tuscaloosa, AL on the 14th and 15th of February.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: