Re: Re: Effie Order

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade w/ Effie story on February 10, 2003 at 14:56:08:

In Reply to: Re: Effie Order posted by Wade on February 10, 2003 at 13:36:21:

Seriously, if you can pull off a nice "down" ending, the six movements tell a nice story in their published order.

This is the full and complete story of Effie the Elephant (minus most of the sordid details...) as I see it in my own sick mind. It is a great example of taking limited information and fleshing it out into a full story. Feel free to use it in your program notes. Just make sure to correct my lousy spelling and grammar!

Here we go:

Effie was an Indian Elephant that lived in the jungles of Thailand (where such beasts are revered as Gods). A particular monkey had been paying a lot of annoying attention to her by playing pranks and teasing. Frustrated, Effie chased the source of all her elephantine angst with the hope of catching the little bugger and smooshing him good.

After months of his taunting, months of her pursuit, she realized that the total obliteration of said monkey had become the focal point of her rather limited social life. She realized that this monkey needed to be chased, that she needed to chase this monkey. This warped relationship had become their joint purpose; they had become codependent.

In a moment of painful clarity, Effie realized that she actually LOVED this monkey. The monkey realized the same thing. It was earth-shattering to think of entering into a Bi-Species relationship in such a conservative animal community, but to hell with the closed-minded conventionality of the other animals!!

The monkey, romantic fool that he was, decided to publicly flaunt their newfound (yet forbidden) love by inviting Effie to the annual Simian Ball. Effie accepted, but was terribly nervous about the whole thing. You see: she had no idea how to dance! So, in preperation for the big event Effie went to Bangkok and took some dancing lessons.

The animals that attended the Simian Ball were so disturbed and angered by a monkey actually showing up with an ELEPHANT on his arm that the hapless lovers were run out of the jungle beneath a hail of oaths, curses, and threats!

Now, while ELEPHANTS might be revered as Gods in Thailand, MONKEYS are just monkeys. And wherever our young lovers went in Bangkok the local cops kept picking the monkey up for vagrancy. Quickly running out of cash, Effie needed to get a gig right away! As the Thai Chapter of the Alzafar Shrine Circus was in town, Effie sought out employment with them. However, as the waiting list for elephants was very long, she had to settle for a job as a dancer in a Dutch Clogging act on the midway. (Good thing she got the dancing lessons, huh?)

At the end of her first week as a professional Folk Dancer, Effie had saved up enough cash to get the monkey out of jail! And she even had enough left over to get a nice room at the Bangkok Motel Six.

After a night made bleary with bananas, peanuts, dry martinis and "hot monkey love", the monkey drifted off to sleep to the beautiful sounds of Effie singing him a lullaby.

Howzat?

Call me, Charlie! I have misplaced your phone number, so give me a ring and I will call you back. Later!

Wade "losing it" Rackley

Follow Ups: