Re: What to do when playing hurts...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 10, 2003 at 21:44:30:

In Reply to: What to do when playing hurts... posted by Tuba Question on February 10, 2003 at 18:18:29:

In a recent thread, many possible potions were discussed for dealing with dry or chapped lips. For many years I used Mentholatum(sp?) and was quite happy with it. Unlike Chapstick, it is not waxy. In the recent thread, someone brought up the fact that many types of lip balm actually dry the lips. Some, in fact, can be addictive or habit forming. Burt's Beeswax Lip Balm was recommended by one of the posters. I have been trying this and have found I am not using it as regularly as I had been the Mentholatum. At this time, I would say I have been convinced it is better and have switched.

I notice most of the replies to your post have suggested rest, etc. Although this may be sounds advice, I don't choose to do that. For one thing, it isn't always a viable option. Sometimes one needs to play due to a commitment, etc. By using the lip balm regularly, I rarely have a problem.

There is one thing I would suggest you avoid, that is the abuse of your lips due to using too much pressure, etc. because of dry lips.

Take care of your lips. Your tuba and your honey will be glad you did. And you will, too.

Best wishes,

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: