Re: Be careful what you ask for!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on February 11, 2003 at 22:23:50:

In Reply to: Be careful what you ask for! posted by Mark F. on February 11, 2003 at 20:36:09:

I played "Babar" several decades ago. As I recall, the tuba does some harmonized duet stuff with the contrabassoon. I remember using an Eb, and it was nearly ideal for the part. Therefore, you might want the lighter sound of a 3/4 CC or an F. That partly depends on how big or small of a hall you're playing in too. If the orchestra doesn't have a contrabassoon, maybe the director has two tubas in mind for the concert.

My experience with "Fantastique" is that it works well if the first player uses a smaller F tuba (or a euphonium, even), while the 2nd player uses something a bit bigger. In my opinion, what's not needed are two big BAT's. Play the Dies Irae theme in the octave that the director wants you to play it in. He/she may not necessarily want one, or both of you to take it down an octave. It's written with the two tubas (ophecleide) in the upper octave, while four bassoons play in the lower octave. Your director may or may not want to hear it that way. I'd ask first, as I had one conductor insist on having it played as its written. Remember, these are both French works, so you don't have to go for a real heavy sound.

Barry

Follow Ups: