Re: Re: Apperson or trumcorr mute?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Sample on February 13, 2003 at 09:01:36:

In Reply to: Re: Apperson or trumcorr mute? posted by Eric on February 12, 2003 at 21:22:32:

Speaking of mutes...Anthony Roper's Sonata for Euphonium calls for TWO types of mutes (a fiber mute and a metal mute). I assume that this is for timbre. However, most situations call for a metal mute. Being an old Tennessee Tech Alumnus, I used a hand-made metal mute for a number of years. I currently use a denis wick mute in order match intonation and timbre with the rest of the section (Tech mutes are good, but my current school has a matching set of wicks).

As for the comment about there being little music written for muted euphonium and tuba...One standard band tune that has been around quite a long time that requires a mute is Karel Husa's "Music for Prague 1968". As for standard solo repetoire, the Gordon Jacobs "Fantasia" has a muted section. There is A LOT of new band music with muted tuba and euphonium parts. Usually, the "muted" section is only a couple of bars, whole notes, and in some instances you could get away without using them at all. One of our tuba players here at UNCG has a mute in 50% of the time. I strayed from the main topic, but it was fun.
-Ash

Follow Ups: