request to parts-hoarders (repair guys)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on February 13, 2003 at 11:54:31:

For over twenty years, I've had a super-top-of-the-line Lyon & Healy "Duplex" cornet in my possession - in very distressed condition. I had no motivation to restore it but have been unwilling to sell it as the engraving is far more than "extensive" or "extraordinary". Indeed, it is art . Further, this is a superb shephard's crook cornet with a huge 5" bell and huge .467" bore size.

Anyway... through a recent very low-cost acquisition - a badly-distressed York auction-acquired "parts" cornet - I gleaned several needed parts and have made sudden significant progress. (I also have some motivation. I am getting interested in trumpet playing, and my son is becoming quite a trumpet player.)

HERE IS MY REQUEST: Even though this 100-year-old cornet has a "modern" one-piece mouthpipe (no insertion crooks) per "crook"-pipe tradition there was never a brace from the mouthpiece receiver to the top of the bell crook. Subsequently, the mouthpipe tube was severely damaged. NOW THAT I'VE REPAIRED IT, I would like to protect it. Even though it won't be "original", I would like to put a one-piece straight brace across that point. (A "Z" brace, of course, would be absolutely tasteless, and I would like the straight brace to be a lathe-turned ornate brace with two hard-soldered flanges to match the character of the instrument. ) I have some ancient somewhat-fancy Conn tuba braces that I could cut and silver-braze, but I was wondering if, in your junk, any of you owns such a brace that measures 1.44" - 1.45" from flange-to-flange (space between mouthpiece receiver and bell). If so, I'd be delighted to buy it and pay your for the trouble of looking for it. The more ornately-turned, obviously, the better.

Thanks!!!

-Joe

Follow Ups: